This restaurant is unassuming and unnoticeable when driving by. The first indicator that this restaurant is special is the large number of cars in the parking lot. This authentic chinese food restaurant is a step above the rest. Unlike most, takeout is not the majority of their business. They do have a takeout menu, but when entering, you see they have many tables packed with chinese families, groups of friends and the occasional “westerner.”
From the dim sum to the deserts (rice and red bean paste or egg soup with tapioca balls), everything was excellent and different from your usual chinese fare.
We did everything family style–the best way to do a meal.
What I tried:
A large pot of tea was given to us to start. We nursed it through the meal.
- A5- Cucumber salad with sesame oil and scallions
- a simple perfect starter. We kept it around and used it to cleanse the palate in between dishes.
- D5- Pork and Leek dumplings, steamed
- You really cannot go wrong with pork and leeks.
- D13- Wontons in Spicy flavor–Steamed wonton marinated with cucumber, scallion, sesame chili sauce and sesame seed.
- These were very spicy, but very good. They were filled with something–some type of meat I think–and they were perfect.
- C17- Sizzling Lamb with Scallions–sautéed sliced lamb leg with scallion and Sha-cha sauce. Serve on a sizzling skillet.
- The sizzling skillet made this a fun dish to order.
- S9- Prawns with Honey Walnut– Light fried prawns marinated with House mayonnaise and surrounding by honey walnuts and broccoli.
- Plan to hit the gym after. These tempura’d shrimp were covered in a sweet mayo. Fabulous, but very rich.
- V17- Eggplant in Garlic Sauce– sautéed Chinese eggplant with minced pork in garlic sauce.
- I loved the dish, but had mixed feelings. I love eggplant but the garlic sauce overshadowed the taste of eggplant. This is a good thing if you don’t like the taste of eggplant and love the eggplant texture, but a bad thing if you are the opposite. Because I both like the taste and texture of the eggplant, I still got the texture of it and the dish tasted good. I may order it again, or then again not because there are so many other options at this restaurant.
- E3- Eight Jewel Sticky Rice – Steamed sticky rice topped with dried fruit and stuffed with red bean paste in the middle.
- FAVORITE. I love sticky rice. I loved this version. FABULOUS
- E5- Tiny rice ball in Sweet Soup– Tiny rice ball with fermented glutinous rice and Osmanthus in sweet thick soup. For 2 servings
- I liked it but not compared to the sticky rice. I could not even eat a quarter of it. Perhaps it was because of the feast we had earlier? My partner of crime professed the dish perfect.
I would recommend this restaurant– a great place to take the family or a group of friends. Get cosy with family style.
Ala Shanghai (
468 Troy Schenectady Rd
Latham, NY 12110